The landscape of businesses and attractions in Downtown Memphis has changed drastically during the past decade since Obsidian first opened its doors in the Emerge Building on Tennessee Street. Now located in the heart of the vibrant South Main Historic Arts District, Obsidianites love to work and play in this exciting area of the Bluff City. A native Memphian and former Downtown resident, account executive Sarah Lichterman has named her top 10 list of activities to do in our beloved Downtown. (Spoiler: this list does not include restaurants – there are too many to pick from!)
1. Cheer on the Grizzlies during a game at FedExForum.
2. Take a run through Tom Lee Park at sunset (start at South Bluffs and head down to the river for an amazing view with the “M” bridge in the background).
3. Enjoy a show at The Orpheum Theatre.
4. Dance in front of the Memphis Convention & Visitors Bureau’s tourism promotional video screen at the northeast corner of Second Street and Peabody Place (it’s not always working, though).
5. Listen to the dueling pianos at Silky O’Sullivan’s Pub on Beale Street.
6. Experience the city’s rich culture of music at the Rock ‘n’ Soul Museum.
7. Walk through art galleries and boutiques in the South Main Historic Arts District.
8. Get dressed up and have a drink in the Peabody Lobby Bar (sit near the player piano for a truly sophisticated experience).
9. Learn about the movement that changed the world at the National Civil Rights Museum.
10. Take a tour through the history of rock ‘n’ roll at Sun Studio (it’s quicker, cheaper and more interesting than Graceland).