As Obsidian’s only full-time telecommuter, Hurricane Harvey has hit a little closer to home for me. I live in Lake Charles, Louisiana, which took the “third hit” of the storm that just won’t go away. My house has been spared, as have my family’s homes here. Some of our neighbors weren’t so lucky. My city is now taking evacuees rescued from less than half an hour down the road, and I’m seeing firsthand the devastation this storm has brought.
- JJ Watt’s YouCaring page – This page was started by Houston Texans player JJ Watt and has raised more than $10 million to date, with 100 percent of funds going to storm victims.
- Relief fund set up by Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner – administered by Greater Houston Community Foundation
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
- Salvation Army
Food banks – Many food banks have their supplies wiped out, even as more people need help. Links to affected the food banks are below.
- Feeding Texas
- Houston Food Bank
- Galveston Food Bank
- Food Bank of the Golden Crescent (Victoria, TX)
- Food Bank Corpus Christi
- SETX Food Bank (Beaumont, TX)
- Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley
- Brazos Valley Food Bank
- Central Texas Food Bank (Austin, TX)
- San Antonio Food Bank
Animal-focused relief organizations – Both of the below organizations are handling animal shelter overflow, rescuing left-behind pets and taking in lost pets from affected areas along the coast and in the Southeast Texas flood zones.