In our field, it is so easy to get tunnel vision when you’re enveloped in client work and forget about the incredible resources that are right in front of you – your co-workers! When it comes to maximizing your workflow and pool of ideas, it can be extremely crucial to tap into the knowledge and experience of your work team. And while there are many benefits to diving into a project on your own, there are so many advantages to working with a team, including the six I’ve listed below.
- Brainstorming: In my opinion, this might be the most valuable resource in teamwork. When we hold brainstorms at Obsidian, it never ceases to amaze me how many truly incredible ideas our team can create. Whether it’s the name of a new client newsletter, pitching ideas or concepts for a series of blog posts, coming together to bounce ideas off of one another is extremely crucial in our field.
- Creativity boost: Like I mentioned before, there is power when great minds come together. Since I began at Obsidian, I have noticed that brainstorms, working with different account managers and holding internal meetings has truly helped open my mind to the limitless realm PR possibilities. As the saying goes, “there’s [DEFINITELY] more than one way to skin a cat.” (Apologies for the nasty mental image.)
- Sharing is caring: Public relations and the communication field cover a pretty wide variety of tactics and specialties, so you never know what your co-workers might be passionate about! Even though many PR professionals aren’t the best with numbers, some of my fellow Obsidianites definitely are. They always lend a helping hand if we need assistance with advertising budgets, for example. Utilize the resources that are already at your fingertips, and never underestimate the power of your co-workers!
- Mind your mentor: When you share ideas and experiences regularly with a team, it becomes that much easier to find someone you can look up to and go to for advice, ideas and constructive criticism. Finding one or two key people that you define as your mentor(s) can help develop your self-confidence and shine through your work.
- Decision-making: Sometimes arriving at a final decision by yourself can lead to second guessing, anxiety and insecurities. But a group can oftentimes handle a complicated problem or situation with ease by quickly talking through various scenarios and outcomes. This is much harder to do when it’s just you!
- Most importantly… it’s just more fun! Sharing moments of business and camaraderie can more often than not lead to having a greater sense of belonging to an organization. And feeling at home in a business can truly turn a job into a career!
Although almost all of us have experienced difficulties in group work, at the end of the day, two heads are better than one. Add more to the mix, and it only gets better!