Beale Street Music Festival is finally here! Ever since the lineup was announced on Feb. 21, Obsidian’s office has been abuzz with talk of performances, past and present. Check out who we’re excited to see this year, a few tips on surviving the mud and our favorite memories of Beale Street Music Fest!
Who are you most excited to see?
- Misterwives – I love that BSMF is bringing a bunch of different genres this year, so there are tons of artists I’m excited to see! I think Misterwives is one artist that I’m most looking forward to, though. They have two songs that my sorority in college used for our recruitment video, and my friends and I would dance and sing to them ALL the time. I was so excited to see that I get to hear them live! – Gracie
- Jack White, Juicy J and Ludacris – They’re all legends! – Courtney
- Luke Combs – I love country music. Being from good ol’ Wynne, Arkansas, I come by it honestly. – Murray
- Odesza – I’ve been a huge fan since I was a freshman in college. – Jenna
- Post Malone and Vance Joy – I can’t stop listening to both of their albums so I’m excited to be able to see them live! – Carlee
- Erykah Badu and Ludacris – Love them! – Whitney
What’s your most helpful tip or piece of advice?
- Wear comfy shoes! Also, make sure you snag a funnel cake while you’re there. – Jenna
- Always remember, safety first! Use ride-sharing like Uber or Lyft. – Courtney
- If you want to be front row for a certain concert, attend the concert before your artist comes on. Typically, once that artist is finished, a bunch of people leave, so you get pushed closer to the front! – Gracie
- You have to have a Pronto Pup! I. LOVE. THEM. with mustard. Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering! – Murray
- Two words – portable charger. Nothing is worse than trying to find your friends with a dead phone. – Carlee
- Wear rain/mud boots and bring a rain jacket! Doesn’t matter if it’s raining or not. – Lauren
- I lasted 7 hours in the front row at BSMF ’16. The goal was to make it to Jason Derulo’s performance, but right before he came on stage, I had a security guard pick me up and pull me over the gate. I could not stand being up there any longer! The next day, I stayed far in the back and danced to ZEDD. No regrets. – Jenna
- My first Music Fest experience, I saw the Killers. Nothing’s topped it since. It was one of the best nights ever! – Courtney
My absolute favorite memory was seeing Hozier two years ago. His music is so calming, the sun was setting over the river during his performance and I was there with a bunch of my close friends. I still get chills thinking about it! – Gracie
- I got to see Jimmy Eat World perform The Middle last year. My elementary school always holds a graduation ceremony for the sixth grade and one of my classmates performed that song, air guitar and all. It was such a full-circle moment for me to see that performed live with friends that I’ve grown up with. – Carlee
- Seeing the Killers! – Lauren
- I’m sorry I’m not much help… I’ve never been! Does that make me a bad Memphian? – Taylor