9 things that make Memphis 0ur number 1
Our team is filled with people who experience Memphis through completely different lenses. Some were born and raised here, with decades of memories spanning from the suburbs to the river, while others couldn’t have located Memphis on a map prior to moving here. Regardless of our personal Mid-South history, we have a shared affinity for Memphis. We don’t all appreciate the same things about this city; in fact, the things that we love about Memphis are as unique as the members of our team. But in our eyes, that’s what 901 Day is all about ‒ celebrating Memphis in a way that is communal and simultaneously deeply personal.
Last week, our team submitted the nine things that contribute to their love of Memphis. From food to activities and feelings, here is what our team had to say:
Addison Walker – Our Mississippian turned Memphian who’s a fan of the heavy hitters.
- Long runs on the Greenline.
- BBQ nachos from Central BBQ.
- The Memphis Zoo at Christmastime.
- St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend.
- Gibson’s Donuts.
- Seeing movies at the Malco Paradiso theater.
- Pancho’s Cheese Dip.
- Shows at the Orpheum.
- Crosstown Brewing Company’s Siren Blonde ale.
Ashley Schaller – Our Tiger alumna turned full-time Memphian.
- Tiger football games.
- Christmas at the Peabody.
- BBQ pork nachos from Central BBQ.
- Craft market shopping at Loflin Yard.
- Sunday Brunch at the Liquor Store.
- Volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House.
- Iced coffee from Bluff City Coffee.
- Crispy rice treats from Muddy’s.
- MLK50 at the National Civil Rights Museum.
Brittany Mizell – Our adventurous Mississippian with an affinity for the arts.
- Kayaking at Shelby Farms Park.
- Walking Big River Crossing with friends.
- Concerts/movies at Levitt Shell.
- Seeing a movie at the Malco Ridgeway theater.
- Walking around Overton Park.
- Muddy’s cupcakes.
- Pancho’s cheese dip.
- Book exploring at novel.
- Concerts at FedExForum.
Carlee Smith – Our Arkansan (but essentially Memphian) with a song in her heart.
- Cheering on the Grizzlies.
- Rendezvous BBQ nachos at a Redbirds game.
- New Year’s Eve at the Peabody.
- Sunsets by the Mississippi River.
- Beale Street Music Fest and Mempho Music Fest.
- ESPN College GameDay on Beale Street.
- Dancing and playing the drums at Raiford’s.
- Soul burgers from Earnestine & Hazel’s.
- St. Jude Memphis Marathon weekend.
Christina Babu – Our returned Memphian who’s in touch with local culture.
- Walking the Big River Crossing on a sunny day.
- Grabbing a beer outside at Wiseacre or Ghost River.
- Mempho Music Fest.
- Shopping for arts and crafts at Cooper-Young Festival.
- Kimchi fries from Acre.
- Jogging or biking around Patriot Lake in Shelby Farms.
- Cheering on the Grizzlies.
- Trolley nights in the South Main Historic Arts District.
- Grabbing dinner then bar hopping around Cooper-Young.
Courtney Ellett – Lifelong Memphian with a rich hometown history.
- Springtime blossoms on Belvedere.
- The lawns and gardens at the Dixon.
- China Exhibit at Memphis Zoo.
- Memories of the Zippin Pippin, Log Ride and the Revolution at Libertyland.
- Adventure River moments as a kid.
- Rockin’ to NKOTB and Debbie Gibson at the Mud Island Amphitheater (a lifetime ago).
- Bar-B-Q beef bologna appetizer plate at The Bar-B-Q Shop.
- Lemon icebox pie from Leonard’s Pit Barbecue.
- The Orpheum’s grand foyer.
Gracie Lee – Our Memphian who’s always up on the latest happenings.
- Sumo Mary from South Main Sushi.
- Iced coffee from Vice & Virtue.
- Sunset runs on Big River Crossing.
- Sunny Sunday afternoons at Loflin Yard.
- Happy hour at BarWare.
- Sitting courtside at Memphis Grizzlies basketball games.
- Crawfish boils at Max’s Sports Bar.
- Mexican food and margaritas from Los Comales.
- Shopping at Mozelle Boutique.
Jenna Taylor – Our suburbanite turned Midtowner with an awesomely eclectic agenda.
- Friday night karaoke at the P+H Cafe.
- Eating duck fried rice from SOB South Main.
- Memphis Pride and all of the activities that accompany it.
- Singing along with local artists at the Hi-Tone.
- 901Wrestling at the REC Room.
- Getting drinks at the Hu Hotel rooftop bar and looking out at the Memphis skyline.
- Kayaking dates at Shelby Farms Park.
- Seeing my favorite Broadway shows at The Orpheum.
- Eating, drinking and ghost hunting at Earnestine & Hazel’s.
Lauren Hannaford – Our lifelong Memphian with an appreciation for the classics.
- Glazed old fashion donuts from Gibson’s.
- Ugly Mug Coffee.
- Pete & Sam’s.
- The Children’s Museum of Memphis.
- The Japanese Garden at Memphis Botanic Garden.
- Pancho’s – the restaurant AND the cheese dip.
- The original Malco Ridgeway theater.
- Wiseacre’s Gotta Get Up to Get Down.
- Driving through Sherwood Forest in East Memphis to see Robin Hood, Little John and Friar Tuck streets.
Murray Lace – Our athletic Arkansan turned Downtowner.
- Running the Big River Crossing.
- Confetti falling after a Grizz win.
- Smell of Rendezvous permeating Downtown.
- Memphis 901 FC’s guitar smash.
- Sunsets from Hu Hotel’s rooftop.
- Cherry Cokes from SOB (IYKYK).
- Crossing St. Jude Memphis Marathon finish line.
- City Silo’s Buffalo Tempeh Bowl.
- Muddy’s Vegan Plain Jane CAKE.
Taylor Jolley – Our transplanted East Memphian who seeks all things cozy.
- Walking Rival (her dog) on the Greenline.
- Pita chips and hummus from Grecian Gourmet.
- Seeing a movie at the Malco Paradiso theater.
- The Downtown Farmer’s Market.
- Starry Nights at Shelby Farms Park.
- Avocado lime popsicles from Mempops.
- Saturday morning flows at Hot Yoga Plus.
- Gift shopping on Broad Avenue.
- The chocolate chip cookie at Hustle & Dough.
Whitney Albert – Our good-time gal who knows where to find a good time (and glass of wine).
- Watching a movie at the Malco Powerhouse theater.
- Dancing at the Zebra Lounge in Overton Square.
- Walks along the Mississippi River trail.
- Strawberry Fields cupcake from Muddy’s.
- Shows at Playhouse on the Square.
- BBQ chicken sandwich and baked beans from Central BBQ.
- Peabody Rooftop parties.
- Chicken fajitas and strawberry margaritas from Happy Mexican.
- Sipping a cool glass of red (blend) wine… pretty much anywhere in Memphis that will let me.